Charlie Larson is recognized as one of the leading South Dakota attorneys in the field of workers’ compensation law. Throughout his years with Boyce Law Firm, he has represented dozens of insurers and hundreds of employers in all levels of the court system. Charlie has also helped injured workers navigate their way through the worker’s compensation process.
Charlie is passionate about the clients he represents. He prides himself on understanding the client and their expectations and works hard every day to exceed those expectations.
Charlie is originally from Harrisburg, South Dakota. He attended Southwest Minnesota State University for his undergraduate degree, and the University of Nebraska School of Law. He is married with three children, who keep him busy day and night. He is a avid sports fan and loves watching and participating in anything competitive.
Charlie loves the practice of law, primarily because of the people he works with. He has devoted himself to the workers’ compensation field since he began practicing in 2005. He is proud of how successful the workers’ compensation practice has become at Boyce Law Firm, and credits the success to being responsive to people and doing great work. He tries to meet with his clients at least once a year as the best way to develop the trust necessary to successfully work with someone is to sit down face to face and get to know them. While some days are better than others, he cannot imagine doing anything else.
Charlie has represented hundreds of employers since 2005. He has had many hearings, and more than a dozen South Dakota Supreme Court rulings. While many cases settle, he is not afraid of taking a claim to hearing. With that said, he understands that many clients are better served by reducing the risk and exposure involved with continued litigation.
Charlie’s goal is to continue to grow the workers’ compensation practice area, and he’s committed to serving his clients.
Boyce Law Firm, LLP is a member of the National Workers’ Compensation Defense Network. http://www.nwcdn.com/
Professional and Community
- South Dakota State Bar – Workers’ Compensation Committee
- National Workers Compensation Defense Network
- South Dakota Young Lawyers Section
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- Midtown Sertoma
- Harrisburg Youth Wrestling Association, Member of Board of Directors
- Admitted to the South Dakota State Bar, U.S. District Court of South Dakota, and the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Awards and Recognitions
- AV rated on Martindale
- Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star of 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 (no more than 2.5% of lawyers in South Dakota are named Rising Stars)
- Named in Chambers USA as a leading attorney in Labor & Employment Law/Workers’ Compensation
Reported Cases and Results
Charlie has had several favorable decisions from the South Dakota Supreme Court that were summarily affirmed, and no opinion was written. The following is a list of cases where the Court has issued written opinions:
- Petrik v. JJ Concrete, Inc. – June 03, 2015 865 N.W.2d 133 2015 WL 3505515
- Milbrandt v. Bibb’s, Inc. – April 01, 2015 862 N.W.2d 544 2015 WL 1500686
- Hayes v. Rosenbaum Signs & Outdoor Advertising, Inc. – August 27, 2014 853 N.W.2d 878 2014 WL 4244259
- Whitesell v. Rapid Soft Water & Spas, Inc. – July 02, 2014 850 N.W.2d 840 2014 WL 2993648
- Schuelke v. Belle Fourche Irrigation Dist. – November 26, 2013 840 N.W.2d 669 2013 WL 6191319
- Waterman v. Morningside Manor – October 30, 2013 839 N.W.2d 567 2013 WL 5861486
- McQuay v. Fischer Furniture – December 21, 2011 808 N.W.2d 107 2011 WL 6431585
- Jewett v. Real Tuff, Inc. – June 29, 2011 800 N.W.2d 345 2011 WL 2582822
- Thurman v. Zandstra Const. – June 16, 2010 785 N.W.2d 268 2010 WL 2414696
- McNeil v. Superior Siding, Inc. – July 29, 2009 771 N.W.2d 345 2009 WL 2306028
- Wellman v. Schad Excavation, LLC – June 17, 2009 768 N.W.2d 149 2009 WL 1698369
Publications and Presentations
Charlie has presented on workers’ compensation issues all over the country. He has presented from groups as small as a few people to as large as hundreds of people. Charlie has presented on local and national issues, and especially enjoys presenting to clients because he enjoys getting know his clients and understanding who they are and what their needs are.
Charlie is always looking for a reason to get out of the office so if you are needing anything from South Dakota WC 101 to something more in-depth, he’s happy to help.