Thomas “Tommy” Johnson focuses his practice on general business and litigation matters. As an associate attorney, Tommy has represented clients in various matters, including debtor-creditor, contract, and shareholder disputes. He has developed a particular focus on the healthcare industry and fulfills his entrepreneurial passion by advising start-up companies at all stages of business development.
Tommy believes in and takes pride in a “value-added” approach to representing clients. He brings a strong background and interest in business and finance that allows him to add an additional layer of value to his clients through all stages of a case or transaction.
• Provide extensive HIPAA regulatory guidance including structuring HIPAA/data privacy programs, conducting HIPAA breach investigations, and drafting and negotiating business associate agreements.
• Represent hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, independent medical practices, and individual physicians and mid-level practitioners in a multitude of health care law transactions and disputes.
• Advise employers on FMLA, ADA, FLSA, and other employment-related matters, including negotiating employment agreements and non-compete/non-solicitation agreements.
• Counselled closely-held companies regarding various business matters and disputes, including drafting and negotiating operating agreements, buy-sell agreements, and independent contractor and other services contracts.
• Commercial real estate purchasing and leasing.
• State and Federal Courts in South Dakota
J.D., University of Minnesota Law School (2013), magna cum laude
• I.P. Moot Court Student Director
B.S.,B.S., South Dakota State University (2010), summa cum laude
• Received degrees in Mathematics and Economics
• Recipient of Schultz-Werth Award for senior research paper on the Black-Scholes option pricing model
• Member SDSU Hockey Club
Professional and Community
- Second Circuit Bar Association
- American Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Sioux Falls Young Professionals Network
- Junior Achievement of South Dakota
- Sioux Empire Adult Amateur Hockey League
Publications and Presentations
- Physician Compensation Arrangements – Midwest Medical Edition (Sept/Oct 2015)
- Employment Law – Documentation and Discipline (2015)